Hot Melt Carton Sealing Tape Characteristics:
Hot melt tapes exhibit a significantly higher adhesion in comparison to an acrylic tape. They possess superior holding power (referred to as shear value) and tensile strength, with quick tack. A hot melt tape is ideal for applications involving machine applied tapes,overstuffed cartons, or cartons with a high degree of recycled content. They perform well in temperatures ranging from 45F to 120F.
- Can be purchased in hand grade carton sealing rolls as well as machine grade rolls
- Provides easy unwind, consistent and reliable seals
- Available in clear, tan and colored rolls; sold in case quantity.
- Examples of usage: shipping, storage, carton sealing/carton closing, boxes with high recycled content
Acrylic Adhesive Tape Characteristics:
Acrylic packing tapes, on the other hand, offer a wider temperature range than that of the hot melt tapes, ranging from 32F to 140. An acrylic carton sealing tape is ideal for applications that involve low and/or high humidity conditions. Acrylic tapes also have a stronger resistance to oxidation, allowing it to to be uninfluenced by exposure to sunlight.
- Can be purchased in hand grade carton sealing rolls
- Oftentimes considered a more economy grade packaging tape
- Available in clear, tan, and colored rolls; sold by case quantity
- Examples of usage: Long-term storage in varying temperatures, lightweight carton sealing/carton closing
- Hot melt tapes offer exceptional adhesion strength, flexibility, and performs well in varying applications.
- Acrylic tapes are ideal for packaging applications involving extreme temperatures, such as refrigeration, and for sealing boxes that will be warehoused over a long period of time.
- Hot melt tapes can yellow with age, whereas an acrylic tape is less likely to yellow over time.
- Machine grade hot melt tapes generally perform more reliably than machine grade acrylic tapes.
- Both acrylic packaging tape and hot melt carton sealing tapes are comparable in price, offering both premium and economical grades.